INDIAN SOCIETY FOR TECHNICAL EDUCATION
The Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE) is the leading National Professional non-profit making Society for the Technical Education System in our country with the motto of Career Development of Teachers and Personality Development of Students and overall development of our Technical Education System.
The major objectives of the ISTE are to:
- Apply curriculum and educational processes to changing conditions.
- Harness the knowledge of Engineering Sciences for the welfare of society.
- Develop excellent teachers and educational administrators.
- Improve teaching methods and practices and administrative usages.
- Enhance Professional ideals and standards to improve academics.
- Make an effective linkage between technical institutions, industry, and society.
In continuation with this GEMS Polytechnic college has received institutional membership from ISTE. Our Membership number IM 2867
ISTE FACULTY ADVISOR
Mr. Titus.R, Senior Lecturer,
Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact number: 9304706901.
SWAYAM-NPTEL Local Chapter
- SWAYAM comprises 9 National Coordinators (NCs) namely NPTEL, CEC, UGC, AICTE, NIOS, IIMB, NITTTR, IGNOU, and NCERT.
- NPTEL has been offering self-study courses across engineering, humanities, and science streams for more than a decade.
- These are available at http://nptel.ac.in. From March 2014 NPTEL has been offering online certification for its courses, the highlight being the certification exam through which the student gets an opportunity to earn a certificate from the IITs These are available at https://swayam.gov.in/NPTEL
- To take this initiative forward and to encourage more students across colleges to participate in this initiative, setting up SWAYAM-NPTEL chapter in colleges (with the approval of the management) which will be under the headship of a faculty member of the college, who would be our Single Point of Contact (SPOC).
- The SPOC will keep updated about all the latest NPTEL initiatives and give him information which he can disseminate among the Faculties and Students.
NPTEL began offering open online courses in March 2014 along with certificates from the IITs/IISc for those who completed the courses successfully.
It is now possible for ANYONE outside the IIT System to be able to do an online certification course from NPTEL and get a certificate from the IITs. IITs are reaching out and taking education to the homes of people through this initiative.
Why was this initiative through the model of Open Online Courses?
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC) is essentially an asynchronous platform and a process for teaching through pre-recorded lectures, resource video materials, lecture notes, assignments and quizzes, which are usually online and provide self-assessment in regular intervals during learning.
- The learning, through scheduling of fixed time duration for completion of courses and, therefore, the simultaneous participation of teachers and a large number of students may be termed synchronous and is thus similar to a classroom, albeit on the Internet and being much larger in size.
- When offered with consideration for students in non-urban and rural areas through supplementary DVDs and mobile delivered content, they enable quality and equitable access to a much larger population of students and can lead to a significant rise in the Gross Enrolment Ratio.
- These courses are open for anyone to access – at no cost. So, anyone who is interested in learning gets access to quality content, which also includes a discussion with the content creator and access to assignments for self-testing.
- The faculty who are currently offering courses are from the IITs or from other reputed institutes such as CMI, IMSc, etc.
BENEFITS OF THE NPTEL COURSE / CERTIFICATE:
- UGC and AICTE are actively encouraging colleges and Universities to adopt at least one online course a semester for credit transfer.
- 20% of the audience is faculty members in various colleges across the country. The advanced courses are being recommended to AICTE to be approved as Faculty development programs (FDP) so that they can get the points for the same. These courses are also serving as faculty development programs (15-20% of enrolments are by faculty in different colleges).
- Enables the faculty & student to directly engage and learn from the best faculty in the country in that particular subject. This strengthens the fundamentals of the student in the course.
- Gives the students the opportunities to explore new areas of interest – which are not possible in a regular college environment. Also gives students the opportunity to learn in greater depth the subjects they wish to master.
- The audience in a MOOC includes students spanning the length and breadth of India and a small fraction of foreign students. This mix of peer groups gives the students a chance to assess where they stand with respect to this group of learners.
- These courses also bring out the self-learning initiative of the faculty & students – where their own motivation is what drives them to complete the course and not external compulsions. This fosters the habit of keeping oneself updated always by means of self-study.
- The certificates issued bear the stamp of CCE, IIT and hence are valuable additions when the student is applying for jobs.
- Companies can also dig into this pool of candidates with specialized skills – in case they wish to recruit.
GPC SWAYAM Local Chapter ID (LC ID): 4201
The Single Point of Contact (SPOC) nominated from your college is
Name of SPOC: TITUS.R
Designation: ACADEMIC COORDINATOR
Department: MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
Contact No(s) : 9304706901
E-mail id: email@example.com
For more details visit the website: https://swayam.gov.in/nc_details/NPTEL